Young Change Agents is a not-for-profit social enterprise that empowers young people across Australia to find problems in their community, reframe them as opportunities, and then come up with solutions. Whilst YCA can’t run any big events right now, they still want to support young people like our students to be Young Change Agents!
Two of our Year 6 students entered the Coronavirus Challenge and have this week, been named as finalists. We eagerly await the final results but they are already young change agents in our eyes.
This was the second round of an online design challenge that empowers students to identify problems in their community caused by the Coronavirus, and identify on who these problems are impacting, develop a solution, and create a prototype.
Summer and Ruby designed an automotive sanitiser robot and their entry can be seen in this photo. Their pitch video was excellent.
And then the judging was conducted...
I am pleased to announce that their idea has been selected as a JUDGE'S CHOICE WINNER for the category (10-15 years olds). Congratulations girls!
Here is some specific feedback that the girls received from the judges:
- Great pitch video, upbeat with prototype walkthrough. Would like to see some market validation with potential customers to confirm the most common use cases and potential price point.
- Great video! Love the prototyping of the robot. I want one. The trick is going to be how the robot works!
- What a mind-blowing prototype, can I suggested the name of Next Gen Mum!. Where can I get one please.
- Loved the prototype and the idea can really see this coming to life. It would great to understand more about the costs and feasibility associated with scaling this idea.
As a judges choice award winner they will receive:
- An awesome JBL Flip Essential Portable Bluetooth Speaker OR a JB Hi-Fi Voucher worth $80 (please let us know which you prefer)
- A virtual mentoring package from Young Change Agents (2 x 1 hr sessions)
- Plus the opportunity to be featured on the Young Change Agents website
This is an amazing achievement and we are all very proud of the girls and their award. Well done also to Mrs Pinnington and their families for the wonderful support provided to the girls.